More than a year into the coronavirus pandemic, mask becomes an indispensable part of our life. There’s a good deal of confusion over what type of face covering is best and how to effectively wear one. There are also numerous companies making and selling face masks online which makes it confused when chose make. Here are some tips for choosing the proper mask.
Types of face mask
The first step of choosing a mask is know different types of mask. There are two main types of mask: medical mask and cloth mask. Medical mask is the most effective mask to prevent the spread of respiratory infections. Medical mask includes disposable surgical masks, N95 and KN95. Disposable surgical face masks can filter out about 60% of smaller, inhaled particles. They are primarily intended to stop droplets, sprays and splatters, diligently wearing surgical masks in public spaces can significantly reduce the spread of respiratory infection.
N95/KN95 face masks offer the most protection against novel coronavirus and other respiratory diseases. N95 can filter out 95% of particles from the air breathed in. This kind of mask should be reserved for health care workers who are most exposed to infected patients.
The other type of mask is cloth mask. The effectiveness of a cloth mask depends on its construction. Cloth mask constructed from tight-weave 100% cotton cloth should be a good choice. Single-layer fabric masks are less effective than double-layer masks, which may be less effective than triple-layer masks. Cloth mask with at least three layers of fabric is the one you should look for.
How to choose the best face mask
Here are some tips for choosing face mask:
- They must fit snugly, but comfortably against your face. If the face mask does not fit well, it will decrease the filtration efficiency.
- They must be secured with ties or ear loops.
- They should have a nose wire to prevent air from leaking out of the top of the mask.
- They must include multiple layers of fabric; this is very important since multiple layers increase the effectiveness of mask.
- They must allow for breathing without restriction.
- If you want to choose cloth mask, they must be washable without damage or shape change, they must still fit snugly after wash.
- Choose the reliable supplier is super important, since they can guarantee the high-quality of the mask.
How to wear and take off a mask
When wear a mask, there are two points need to remember:
- Make sure the mask covers your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin.
- The mask must fit snugly against the sides of your face.
When take off the mask, follow the steps below:
- Carefully untie the strings behind your head or stretch the ear loops.
- Handle only by the ear loops or ties, do not touch the other part of mask.
- Fold the outside corners together.
- Wash hands immediately after removing.
If you are using cloth mask, do not forget to clean them frequently. Use regular laundry detergent and the warmest appropriate water setting for the cloth used to make the mask. In order to completely clean the mask, use the highest heat setting and leave in the dryer until completely dry.
In conclusion, choosing the right mask is very important, but masks do not replace the need for washing hands or social distancing. Keep practicing social distancing, washing your hands frequently and other precautions, no matter what type of mask you have on.